Sponsor Me for Blog-a-thon!

Sunday, August 07, 2005

#3 Countdown: The X-Files

The X-Files
The Lone Gunmen
Millennium

This show was my first television obsession. I used demand that my boss make my schedule around the show. Even though it totally sucked in the end, X-Files will always hold a special place in my heart.

Fox Mulder made conspiracy theories cool. Scully made science hot. I thought they had the perfect non-relationship. The whole baby thing at the end was sweet but by the middle of Season 6, Scully wasn't the only one screaming, "This isn't happening!". I watched every episode of this show but I'm still confused about what was actually going on.
I think X-Files was so popular because there was a growing mis-trust of the government and no real way to express it. Mulder was like a lot of us who just wanted to know what the hell was going on. The trouble with this show is that it makes our government offices look more competent than they actually are.

The Cigarette Smoking Man, Kryceck, Mr. X, Deep Throat, The Lone Gunmen, Skinner. These characters were gifts that kept on giving. The Samantha arc, Scully's Aduction and Impregnation, The Black Oil, contagions, quarantines, plagues, genetic mutations, cannibalism, stolen files, serial killers, paranormal entities, you name it, this show had it all.

One of these days I'm going to watch all of the mythology episodes minus the monster-of-the-week episodes. Maybe then I'll figure out what's going on.

My favorite episodes:
X-Cops
Vampires
Small Potatoes - It's the one where the plumber is a changeling and morphs in to Luke Skywalker.
Jose Chung's from Outer Space
Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man

1 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't get to watch this show until, later, when it was run on TNT and I can't tell you how much I LOVE this show. I think you're right, though, about the government mistrust thing. You know that there probably is an Area 51 that we don't know about somewhere in the desert. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home