Sponsor Me for Blog-a-thon!

Saturday, August 06, 2005

#8 Countdown: Stargate

I used to read everything I could about Ancient Egypt when I was younger. When I saw the preview for the Stargate movie, I was stoked. I loved this movie so much that I went out and bought the action figures. (oh yeah, like that) I don't know whose idea it was to make a TV show based on this movie but it was an AWESOME idea.

One movie spawned a nine year TV show and a spin-off. I think this show was successful because it was more about adventure and not about ideology and moral values. The Stargates went as far as they could with the G'o'uld and the Ancient Egyptians. The writers actually had to familirize themselves with the ancient mythology because they went through just about every major Egyptian God. This ninth season marks a different direction for the show. It took eight years for them to stray away from the movie. Like Taken and Roswell, Stargate takes historical facts weave them into an interesting and believable tale. (Believable if you are drunk but amazing the same) A cool thing about this show is that they get actual direction from the Air Force on how a military installation is supposed to be run. What is it with science fiction and the military anyway?

I forgot to mention that I got a kick out the costumes in the latest episode. Mitchell and Jackson were dressed like the cast of Firefly in one scene. ...not a spoiler, so relax... :)


[Listening to: CleavantDerricks - Sci - (23:58)]

5 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm starting to get into this show a little bit more. I still need to Netflix the other seasons just to understand the jump between the movie and the tv series.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger scifirantergirl said...

The first season lays a lot of the ground work. A must see!

You seem like you've been up just as long as I have. Have you been to sleep yet?

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got back from a party. Plus, I'm an insomniac. So, I'm always up. ;o)

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and, I'm here to cheer you on!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger scifirantergirl said...

Party? Look at you having a life and all. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home